Saturday, November 13, 2010

“Personal Essay "Disappointment"

In life people handle disappointment in very different ways. Some people yell when they are disappointed, cry, write in their journals, or others sometimes hold it all in and keep it to themselves. A time I confronted disappointment was when my favorite cousin Emoni was at my house. One day she came over right after school. Each and every single day she would come so I could help her with homework, projects, and school work to help her keep her grades up. This particular say she came over and I noticed she wasn't acting like herself. Usually Emoni would be happy telling jokes, and overall was a happy girl when she would come to my house "Now keep in mind that she was dealing with the loss of her mother during this time". This particular day Emoni was acting completely different.
 I didn’t know what it was, but I could feel that's something was wrong. I asked her what was wrong and all she said was "nothing I am fine". Even though she said she was fine, I could see it all over her face that something was bothering her. After I let her know that she could come to me about anything, I went to my room to finish one of my assignments. When I came out of my room, I found Emoni with her hands covering her face. I could tell that she was trying to hide her tears. I remember sitting down next to her and asking her again "Emoni talk to me, what's wrong?” Her hands were still covering her face and she didn't say anything to me. I started to get disappointed because I thought we were close enough that we could talk about anything. I remember getting up and walking away from her because I felt like she was holding things back from me. A few minutes later she walked up to me and she sat down next to me. I hugged her and she began to cry. She was crying because she missed her mom. All I could do was hug her and tell her I was always going to be there for her. She started to wipe her tears and I could see that I made her feel somewhat better.
Once she felt better, I told her that I was disappointed in her because I never wanted her to feel that she couldn't talk to me about anything. After that we talked about her mother. Even though it was hard for her to talk about at times, she came to me and began to feel a lot more comfortable talking to me about it, which made me feel so good inside.

1 comment:

  1. I've been in a similiar situation where i feel close to a person but they act otherwise. We all go through disappointment, but we learn to get through life and make the best out of it. In time things get better like with you and your cousin Emoni.

    ReplyDelete