Saturday, November 13, 2010

“Memoir "Don't judge a book by its cover"

Never judge a book by its cover has always been what I was taught while growing up. I was taught that a person can't base how another person’s character is by the way that they look. People come in all different shapes and forms which make them look different from someone else. Just because someone looks a certain way doesn't mean their character is a certain way. I experienced this for the first time when I was in the first grade. One day like any ordinary day, I was doing my work with my friends. Vocabulary words were what we were working on at the time when our class got a knock on the door. At the door was a staff member with a girl along with her. I remember the staff member introduced the girl to the class. Her name was Brandy. Everyone said hello to her, but she didn’t respond, she just sat in the seat that she was told to sit in. As the day went on, it was time for recess. Recess was the best part of the day to me because I loved to play with my friends.
            I remember walking to go get on the swings with three of my friends. Once we got to the swings, we were swinging, and having a good time. I noticed that Brandy was sitting alone which made me want to ask her to come swing with my friends and I. I told my friends we should ask her to come play with is, but then one of my friends said " she looks mean, and she didn't even say hi to anybody. Then I said "oh yea she didn't say hi, she's mean". After that my friends and I began to swing again. I remember being on the swings and looking up and seeing Brandy once again sitting all alone. I don't know what came over me, but something told me to just go ahead and walk up to her and ask her did she want to play with us. When I walked up to her, and said hi, she responded. I asked her did she want to play with is, and she said yes. From that day on we played every single day at recess.
Looking back I realized that people shouldn't judge someone by its cover just because someone thinks their mean. I realized that she was just shy and was a very sweet and nice girl. I’m happy that I took the time to talk up to her because I made a good friend in the process.

No comments:

Post a Comment