Thursday, October 7, 2010

"My Opinion About Community Service"

     Volunteering to me is a very outstanding thing that someone can do. It helps a number of people when someone volunteers.Not only does it benefit other people, but the person who is volunteering gains great citizenship, and also gets to meet and help the lives of other individuals.
     For the past three years, I have been doing community service. I have done things such as , aids walks, creating collages to be displayed in a museum, tutoring young children, and the list goes on. From doing  these activities has made me realize that community service is something that everyone should want to do.
     I feel that junior high and high schools who require their students to do community service is helping their students in outstanding ways. It has helped me realize if I changed my mind about being a psychologist, I  want to be a teacher. Growing up, being a psychologist was something I always wanted to do, but I could never figure out my second choice until I started doing community service.
    A way I did and am now still doing community service is tutoring young children. As I began to tutor them I began to realize how much of a difference I was making in their lives. One day I was assigned the job to teach a few of the kids to write their names. As I began to teach some of them, it was a challenge for them. Some of them didn't know how to write the letters, some of them wrote the letters the wrong way, and some of them didn't want to do it  because they felt that it was too hard.
     In my mind. I thought " What can I do  to make them remember how to write the letters in a fun way"? I thought  of a phrase for each letter  in the child's name if he or she didn't know how to write the letter. One girl didn't know how to write the letter A in lowercase. The phrase I taught her that will forever stick in my head is " Circle and then bring it down". That phrase helped her remember how to write the letter a. The next day  she came up to me and said " Ms. Gina, I remember how to write the letter a, then she said " Circle, the bring it down".
     From that day on, it helped me realize if I ever change my mind about being a psychologist, then my second choice is to be a kinder garden teacher. Community service in my opinion benefits everyone involved in an amazing way. In some cases such as mines, it helped me realize something that can possibly change my life in many ways.

No comments:

Post a Comment