Friday, December 3, 2010

" My School's Litter Problem"

Prompt: In order to solve your schools recent litter problem your principle asked students to take better care of the campus, but the litter problem continued. Your principle’s reaction was to cancel all extracurricular activities but the litter problem continued. Do you agree with his reaction? Use specific reasons and examples.

    Littering, it’s never good for our environment, so I don't understand why people do it. It only makes the world look dirty and nasty. Throughout my life I have experienced people littering in all different kinds of places, which bothers me because I am a person who loves a clean environment. I have seen people litter in all kinds of places. These places include the park, beach, street, even school. To keep the litter problem from getting out of control, different laws and rules have been made. If someone litters in public places there has been laws enforced that people have to pay a fine.
    At school it's somewhat different rather than paying a fine. Certain schools do different things when students litter. Then there are also schools that don't do anything about the littering problem. One of these punishments may involve the students losing their extracurricular activities until the litter problem comes to an end. These extracurricular activities may be sports
 Dance, clubs and the list goes on. Even though I feel the students need discipline for their actions, I feel that the principle shouldn't take away these activities because not every single student who attends a school litters. I feel if all of the activities were taken away, it wouldn't be fair to the innocent students who are doing the right thing. Throughout my life I have noticed that when there is a group of students, and something has happened the way that it shouldn't, a lot of the time every single students gets punished. I feel like this "what about the innocent students who didn't do anything wrong, why should they have to suffer because their peers weren't doing what they were supposed to be doing"?  The reason I feel this way is because I have been one of those innocent students that had to suffer because of another students actions.
    I feel that this is unfair when a school has trashcans to throw away trash in. “Well the people who are littering should suffer the consequences", is what someone would say. I happen to be one of those people who feel that people should suffer the consequences for their actions. Instead of taking away the activities, maybe the principle should invest in some cameras so they can catch the students who are littering. This way the innocent students won't have to suffer for their peers wrong doings. The innocent students can continue on with their activities and daily lives and the litterers will suffer the consequences and think before they litter, especially if there is a trashcan a few feet away.

1 comment:

  1. When people litter it upsets me too! I mean they wouldnt throw wrappers on their carpet at home, so why do it in public. Parents should start telling their kids at a young age to have respect towards nature. Litterers should have consequences for their actions.

    ReplyDelete